Electricity is used everywhere, without electricity the world will be
freeze in darkness. Electric power is provided by the electrical power
industry to be used in the society. Electricity is produced in power
stations by burning coal or oil fuels to power electricity generators.
It is also produced by hydroelectric turbines or by nuclear fuel.
Make it work
One of the first users of electric power are the lighthouses. You can
create your own battery operated lighthouse by following the simple
You will need
- thin cardboard
- glue and tape
- X-Acto knife/scissors wire
- bulb and bulb holder
- 4.5-volt battery
- alligator clips/paper clips
- Create a round tube from a piece of white cardboard you can
decorate it with red stripes. You can also use the tube from a roll
of toilet paper just cover it with a white paper.
- Cut out a circle of cardboard, make a hole in the
center, and glue or tape it to the top of the tube. Glue a strip of
cardboard around the edge of the balcony to make the railing.
- Attach two long wires to a bulb holder and tape the bulb holder into
place at the top of the tube. Push the wires down through the tube and
out the bottom.
- Use a strip of cardboard to make the windows at the top of the
lighthouse. Cut out small
squares with scissors or ask an adult to use an X-Acto knife. Then bend
the cardboard to make a cylindrical shape and glue it in place on the
- For the roof, draw a circle and make a cut from the rim to the
center. Fold the circle to form a cone and glue. Make a flag from paper
and a toothpick.
- Attach the ends of the wires to a battery and the bulb in your
lighthouse will light.