Magnetism and electricity are related. Electricity can produce magnetism
and magnetism can produce electricity. Both are caused by the movement
of electrons. Every electric current has its own magnetic field. The
magnetic force in the electricity can be used to create electromagnets.
Make it work
The device on the picture uses electromagnetic coil. The coil will
transform to a powerful magnet when the electricity flows into a wire
coiled around a conductor.
You will need
- corrugated cardboard
- wooden dowel
- copper wire
thin thread spool
- poster board
- nails and thumbtacks
- insulated wire and clips
- glue, tape, and string
- shorter, fatter spool
- Draw some shape on a poster board and corrugated
line marked x must be the same length as the long, thin spool.
corrugated cardboard inside body for support.
- Assemble winch using the two spools, dowels, and string.
- Wrap copper wire around an iron nail to make an
electromagnet. Connect it to the battery with insulated wire.
- Tape the battery to the back of the crane and check the circuit diagram
to make sure if it is correctly wired.
- When the leads and battery
are connected, the nail will become magnetized and you can pick up a load of thumbtacks.
- Disconnect and the tacks will
fall to the ground.